Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A new take on fajitas!

Most of the posts on the blog up to this point have been about the pup's or baking.  Today I thought I would discuss one of my favorite new takes on fajitas!  My husband and I have these nearly every week, they are delicious and easy to make. 

Place 1 pound of ground bison in a bowl.  Into the bison add 1tsp of salt and pepper.  At this point you can experiment with different spices and herbs depending on what you like.  My favorite combination lately has been: a dash of chili powder, dash of paprika, 2 cloves minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of basil and 2 tablespoons of parsley.  Mix all the spices into the meat, however be cautions not to overwork the meat.  

Next, saute 1 large diced white onion in a large pan.  When the onion is translucent add the meat mixture into the pan and brown the meat.  When the meat is browned add in 1 cup of low sodium beef broth, and lower the heat to on the stove so the mixture is at a simmer.  Simmer the mixture for 20 minutes (this time is dependent on how cooked the meat is at this point), and if all the beef broth is absorbed into the meat add more in, 1/4 cup at a time.

When the meat mixture is done place the meat in your choice of fajita shell.  Nick and I follow a paleo- inspired diet, so do not eat wheat products when possible.  As a substitute we use one of two things: (1) green peppers (see photo below), or (2) leaves of Boston lettuce.  

I hope you like this creative take on fajitas!

No comments:

Post a Comment